Photography: Sweet Memory Photography
2017 was the year I decided to really step up my fitness/health game after years of inconsistency and relying on my metabolism. I’m (obviously) no fitness goddess and see nothing resembling that in my future, but I am determined to do my best to take care of the body I was given!
These easy + healthy summer habits have been such game changers for me.
Accepting your body is really tough and properly taking care of it is too, but these 5 habits make it a lot easier! I apply most of these throughout the year, but threw in a few special ones for the summer.
1. Diet/Exercise. AYOO the obvious one. Everything I eat affects my body. It doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll definitely gain weight from it, but it will definitely affect the way I feel. I’ve had to become so aware of what foods make me feel great or feel miserable. Texas is just disgustingly hot right now and will be for two more months. Eating foods that don’t make you feel puffy and gross honestly make such a difference in your day to day. And I know you know this, but diet is truly everything when it comes to health & fitness. I’m FOR SURE not one of those people who doesn’t ever eat sugar or carbs, but I want the majority of what I eat to fuel my body. If you’re a class girl, the YMCA offers AMAZING classes. Pilates, Barre, Yoga, Body Pump. YMCA isn’t just for your grandma’s swim class anymore. Plus, every YMCA I’ve been to has such an amazing family environment – AKA no creeps or dudes who throw their weights around and grunt and offer unsolicited advice about machines.
2. Water. This is so dang important. For the past 7 ish months, I’ve been drinking 60 – 100 ounces of water a day and the results have been amazing. My skin has cleared up more, my hair is healthier, and I’m rarely bloated <— the best part. I drink a glass of water before I eat or drink anything else and then I carry around a 20 oz. bottle throughout the day. I promise your body will feel amazing. Btw, I only drink 100 ounces a day if I’ve had a tough workout or am outside a lot. Drinking too much water is really unhealthy! I’ve done that a few times and it gives you really bad headaches. Don’t chug a bottle of water just to get your ounces in.
3. Moisturize. Okay y’all. My BFF Libby, seen here and precious, turned me onto coconut oil. I’m so obsessed that I’m writing an entire post about it and will post that next week. It’s amazing. I have really dry skin and it gets terribly dry in the summer. I’ve tried sooo many different moisturizers and haven’t been able to find one that works until now. I use this brand, but any 100% coconut oil will work. I rub it on my face and neck every day and seriously never have dry skin anymore. You can even bake with it? 10/10 would recommend.
4. Sunscreen. Soooo we went to the beach last week and both got a gnarly sunburn. My chest and shoulders were fried and we put sunscreen on?! We think ours was expired or something, but it legit didn’t work so we bought 100 spf lolz. ANYWAY. I’m normally super good about sunscreen and covering my skin. It’s never worth it to burn or get sun! Any color is bad for your skin. I’ve been going to the dermatologist for 7+ years and have had to have multiple spots removed to prevent melanoma, so I don’t mess around anymore. There are about a million awesome self-tanners now, too. I use this one and love it! Protect your skin, y’all!
5. Disconnect. This one is probably the most important. I don’t know what it is about summer, but it just seems to move so fast. Everyone is going on great vacations, having BBQ’s, and lookin’ fab in their bikinis. Scrolling through Instagram wears me out sometimes. It’s so important to focus on the lives we have offline – the real ones. Focusing on our relationships outside of social media brings so much life. Maybe you’re trying to keep kids busy this summer or you’re grinding away in an internship. No matter what you’re summer looks like, give yourself some rest and disconnect with people who feed your soul!
BONUS: This is for all the dog mamas out there bc I just saw something about this – but PLEASE be mindful of your doggles paws! Every summer you see some sad story circulating about a dog whose paws got burned from walking on a hot surface. If it hurts your feet, it hurts theirs!
I hope these were helpful or a simple reminder of things you already knew! Take care of yourself this summer – don’t beat yourself up about what you’re supposed to look or feel like. Start incorporating healthy habits slowly. Start small and set goals. Treat yourself to some rest and sweet time with your people. Cool breezes, leaves falling, and pumpkin spice lattes are comin’ soon, y’all.
– Caitlin –